Dan Pink, author of the popular Whole New Mind, offers insights into what research tells us about motivation, potential, and the value (or lack their of) of reward systems. It is a great video that has obvious implications for educators, especially those who feel that the seeming infallibility (and immediate gratification) of a carrot-on-a-stick is actually a hook without a worm. He also explores motivators that have long term benefits for learners and that help unlock the mind’s potential to think critically and creatively.
August 28, 2009 | 10 Comments
Leave a Reply
Ecology of Education is a multi-author blog dedicated to exploring issues and ideas in education. Please subscribe, comment and engage.
Looking for something?
- A Teacher’s Field Guide to Parents August 13, 2010
- Reviewing Cathy Vatterott’s “Rethinking Homework” August 5, 2009
- Open Letter to the Teacher Who Said “I Hate Technology.” May 6, 2009
- 10 Principles for the Future of Learning July 2, 2009
- The Folly of Rubrics and Grades March 11, 2010
- Words that Ignite Learning October 20, 2010
- What Makes a Master Teacher? May 10, 2010
- Emerging Trend: Collaborative Curve April 10, 2009
- NBC Hosting Education Summit: Can we stop bashing education? September 13, 2010
- Ed Reformers: Champions of the Wrong Theory of Learning August 26, 2010
- Break the Speed Limits, Mind the Stop Signs December 9, 2014
- Rewriting Teacher Credentials October 27, 2014
- Using Twitter in Higher Education September 1, 2014
- Flip the (Teacher Tenure) Question August 22, 2014
- The Highly Qualified Teacher Limbo: How Low Can It Go? July 29, 2014
- Education HAS – Applied Content July 21, 2014
- Paradox of Students’ “Deficits” As Society’s Strengths July 9, 2014
- Education HAS… May 25, 2014
- Book Release March 31, 2014
- Insurgent Instruction: Absurdity February 23, 2014
- Triumph Insurance: There may be a lot to know about this, but you've ...
- details in regards to a chicken coop from Bird In Hand Pet Structures: Witty! I'm adding your site to my favorites for fu...
- maif insurance: I don't think I've ever learned something like thi...
- Trinity Management Associates: Once I originally left a comment I clicked the "No...
- it support company: I definitely enjoyed every little piece of it and ...
- Leroy Briner: Why islife better on someone else's side of the fe...
- Meilleur aspirateur: hello!,I really like your writing very much! shar...
- raising money for breast cancer: So it's never to late to improve any cancerous tum...
- America Star Books: Hey there I am so delighted I found your website, ...
- more information pertaining to car services: Once I originally commented I clicked the "Notify ...
21st Century 21st Century Education Accountability Arne Duncan ASCD ASCD Annual Conference assessment Change Collaboration Common Core Curriculum Democracy Differentiating Instruction Edreform Education Education Policy Education Reform Florida globalization Humor Innovation Leadership Learning NCLB New York Times Obama Parents Poverty professional development Race to the Top Relevance SB6 Schools Standardization Standardized testing Standards Students Teacher Teachers Teaching Technology Testing Twitter Web 2.0 Whole Child
Follow @Eco_of_Ed on Twitter