In a world where our students are increasingly surpassing our skills in understanding and utilizing technology, Vicki Davis, aka @CoolCatTeacher, has found a way to harness their enthusiasm and potential to help inform her teaching. In this video from Edutopia’s Digital Generation Project, Vicki Davis connects her students to the world through a deft use of wiki’s, blogs, avatars, and anything in-between. Her approach is successful partly due to her own excitement for and expertise in the digital medium, but also becuase she approaches teaching as a learner, allowing students to explore new domains and then teach her a thing or two. The outcome is an education that provides students with relevant and meaningful skills, while also bridging the gap between school life and home life.
July 14, 2009 | 9 Comments
Leave a Reply
Ecology of Education is a multi-author blog dedicated to exploring issues and ideas in education. Please subscribe, comment and engage.
Looking for something?
- Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic. The Challenge of Motivation. January 18, 2012
- How to Use Classroom Assessment Techniques in Your Classroom April 2, 2010
- Insurgent Instruction: Silence January 21, 2014
- Emerging Trend: Collaborative Curve April 10, 2009
- A Teacher’s Field Guide to Parents August 13, 2010
- Reviewing Cathy Vatterott’s “Rethinking Homework” August 5, 2009
- Open Letter to the Teacher Who Said “I Hate Technology.” May 6, 2009
- 10 Principles for the Future of Learning July 2, 2009
- What Makes a Master Teacher? May 10, 2010
- Words that Ignite Learning October 20, 2010
- Games in the Classroom April 6, 2015
- Break the Speed Limits, Mind the Stop Signs December 9, 2014
- Rewriting Teacher Credentials October 27, 2014
- Using Twitter in Higher Education September 1, 2014
- Flip the (Teacher Tenure) Question August 22, 2014
- The Highly Qualified Teacher Limbo: How Low Can It Go? July 29, 2014
- Education HAS – Applied Content July 21, 2014
- Paradox of Students’ “Deficits” As Society’s Strengths July 9, 2014
- Education HAS… May 25, 2014
- Book Release March 31, 2014
- cheapest proxies: I do like the manner in which you have presented t...
- buy private proxies: You really make it seem so easy with your presenta...
- facebook proxies: Hi! I've been reading your blog for some time now ...
- buy anonymous proxy: Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is ...
- proxy servers: Normally I do not read post on blogs, but I would ...
- my proxies: One thing is the fact that one of the most widespr...
- proxies for youtube: I also believe that mesothelioma is a uncommon for...
- youtube proxies: Thanks for your text. I would like to say a health...
- buy elite proxy: I'm extremely inspired together with your writing ...
- youtube proxies: Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a...
21st Century 21st Century Education Accountability Arne Duncan ASCD ASCD Annual Conference assessment Change Collaboration Common Core Curriculum Democracy Differentiating Instruction Edreform Education Education Policy Education Reform Florida globalization Humor Innovation Leadership Learning NCLB New York Times Obama Parents Poverty professional development Race to the Top Relevance SB6 Schools Standardization Standardized testing Standards Students Teacher Teachers Teaching Technology Testing Twitter Web 2.0 Whole Child
Follow @Eco_of_Ed on Twitter