In another outstanding video from Edutopia’s Educator page of the Digital Generation Project, Henry Jenkins, participatory media guru and Director of MIT’s Comparative Media Studies Program discusses “this new media landscape” and its implications for learning, teaching, and integrating media literacy. He challenges us as educators and participants in media to look beyond “natives vs. immigrants” in envisioning and implementing a participatory curriculum that helps students “pool knowledge” with each other. He advocates for a paradigm shift from the deschooling, deskilling, and devaluing that often happens as soon as students walk into the classroom.
July 15, 2009 | 13 Comments
Leave a Reply
Ecology of Education is a multi-author blog dedicated to exploring issues and ideas in education. Please subscribe, comment and engage.
Looking for something?
- A Teacher’s Field Guide to Parents August 13, 2010
- Emerging Trend: Collaborative Curve April 10, 2009
- Reviewing Cathy Vatterott’s “Rethinking Homework” August 5, 2009
- Open Letter to the Teacher Who Said “I Hate Technology.” May 6, 2009
- 10 Principles for the Future of Learning July 2, 2009
- The Folly of Rubrics and Grades March 11, 2010
- What Makes a Master Teacher? May 10, 2010
- Words that Ignite Learning October 20, 2010
- Ed Reformers: Champions of the Wrong Theory of Learning August 26, 2010
- NBC Hosting Education Summit: Can we stop bashing education? September 13, 2010
- Games in the Classroom April 6, 2015
- Break the Speed Limits, Mind the Stop Signs December 9, 2014
- Rewriting Teacher Credentials October 27, 2014
- Using Twitter in Higher Education September 1, 2014
- Flip the (Teacher Tenure) Question August 22, 2014
- The Highly Qualified Teacher Limbo: How Low Can It Go? July 29, 2014
- Education HAS – Applied Content July 21, 2014
- Paradox of Students’ “Deficits” As Society’s Strengths July 9, 2014
- Education HAS… May 25, 2014
- Book Release March 31, 2014
- fenêtre alu: It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd d...
- масло 10w40: If you opt to use a synthetic oil, the interval at...
- Web Design and Graphic Design: http://seo-services.digitalprinting.digiprintlab.c...
- C Style: Hi there I am so happy I found your webpage, I rea...
- Blaine: In just a few days, you can have your shop up and ...
- muaythaiboxingshop.de: Good site you have got here.. It's difficult to fi...
- annonces immobilier luxe: As being a Newbie, Weâ€™re permanently exploring o...
- pet grooming: Excellent job, I think many individuals will side ...
- www.expono.com: Another 10% do it kind of well although not at a p...
- www.resslermateer.com: This was a wonderful article, thank you very much ...
21st Century 21st Century Education Accountability Arne Duncan ASCD ASCD Annual Conference assessment Change Collaboration Common Core Curriculum Democracy Differentiating Instruction Edreform Education Education Policy Education Reform Florida globalization Humor Innovation Leadership Learning NCLB New York Times Obama Parents Poverty professional development Race to the Top Relevance SB6 Schools Standardization Standardized testing Standards Students Teacher Teachers Teaching Technology Testing Twitter Web 2.0 Whole Child
Follow @Eco_of_Ed on Twitter